Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Charcoal Black Desk

Posted by MAKMU ta On Saturday, March 17, 2012 No comments

I love taking an old or dated piece of furniture and giving it a new life.


This sturdy desk was a curbside find in our neighbourhood on the first 'big garbage' day after a long winter. This is the day that we are allowed to put out oversize items for pickup. about once a month from April 'till October. The stuff is usually set out neatly so others can claim it. It is funny to watch big piles dwindle in size and great to know that good stuff is not hitting the landfill. I'm not above curb picking and my husband hasn't minded since I showed him how I could make a profit.


Before, or during sanding (I almost forgot a photo), a very dated and rough mustard colour finish with glitter glue here and there.


I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra Paint and Primer in One in a charcoal black. Please ignore the stack of board and batten wood on our living room floor ;) It has a neat little pull out shelf and three dovetailed drawers. I decided not to distress it because that seems to appeal more to buyers around here.


I'm listing this desk for sale on kijiji, but the little Vilas maple one I bought is already sporting a fresh new white finish. I just need to find knobs and take some photos because I am keeping that one. We are enjoying beautiful weather this weekend, the end of our March Break, and I'm hoping to get a few more projects complete before I'm back to work on Monday.

UPDATE: I sold this within 12 hours of listing it and now I need to find something else to paint ;) Cost to me was less than $3 of mistint paint and it sold for $80.

You can find me at the following awesome parties...
SNS #125 at Funky Junk Interiors
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Cowgirl Up Link Party at Cedar Hill Ranch

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...