Saturday, March 24, 2012

Guest Bedroom Desk Makeover

Posted by MAKMU ta On Saturday, March 24, 2012 No comments

Another piece of furniture got a makeover for the guest bedroom in our basement.


Our guest bedroom is still evolving as I search for affordable items to use but today I am sharing the newest addition. I painted this desk/table with Benjamin Moore Cloud White in eggshell and mixed in plaster of paris to make homemade chalk paint. I read that the trick with using plaster of paris is to mix the powder in with the water really well first. Then add the one part of water/p.o.p. to 3 parts of paint. It worked great this way for me-no lumps! I waxed the top with Minwax paste wax. At this time I am choosing not to distress it but I may change my mind (I'm not sure if I want the maple showing through.)


Our carpet is more of a grey shade and will be staying for now (the lighting was challenging today.) The baseboard and door trim still needs painting too. 



This is the seller's before shot. I think it is a great piece for $25, solid maple and very well built. (Regional prices on sites like kijiji and Craigslist vary, but I find our local prices fairly high when comparing ours to many I see in blogland.) I hesitated painting it but the colour wasn't working for us. I switched out the wood drawer knobs for glass knobs ($1.50 each at Michaels last summer.)



It fits nicely in this spot in the guest room, but I have been known to move things around ;) This will be a nice little spot for guests to use their laptop or write a note. 


I am working on a mirror or chalkboard for the wall behind the desk and just need to decide which would look better. We also have a Windsor hoop back chair that would look cute painted and used here. White or aqua? hmmm


The little lamp is one I made from an old mason jar and a lamp kit. (The lighting is making the photos appear more yellow than they are.)


I think it turned out quite well for $25 and some leftover paint. I ended up selling the cute antique dresser I bought at the same time as this table. I got it for $60 and resold it as is for $180. I had trouble deciding where to put it and couldn't pass up the offer. In trying to get a little side business going I am learning that to make money you can't keep every piece that comes along. But for now I will be keeping this little desk.

I'm sharing this with...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...