Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto

Posted by MAKMU ta On Thursday, March 15, 2012 No comments

We took a trip to Toronto on our March Break this week to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame.


(Warning lots of pictures but the architecture sort of makes up for it I hope.)

Located in a former historic bank building in downtown Toronto the Hockey Hall of Fame/Temple de la renommée du hockey is a must see destination for hockey fans.


The HHOF is both a museum and a hall of fame highlighting the history of ice hockey. There are so many beautiful and informative displays and exhibits about players, teams, National Hockey League (NHL) records, memorabilia and NHL trophies. There is also lots of information and displays on Women's hockey, Olympic and International IIHF.


My husband and our youngest son, J, are always most interested in the memorabilia and trophies but it is the beautiful architecture of the old bank and vault that draws me in. The original Stanley Cup is in the original bank vault.


This girl loves hockey, but the metal, gears and wood detail of the vault and trophy room are even more appealing. Shh, don't tell my guys!


I guess I can't take one of these beauties home with me ?!!




More details and intricate woodwork.

With each visit I can't help but stare up at the gorgeous ceiling like a tourist, but c'mon, can you blame me?


We had an unseasonably warm and beautifully sunny March day (double digit warm, 17 Celsius, no snow and t-shirt weather in Ontario, Canada in March, are you kidding me?) and the light streaming through the stained glass dome was just gorgeous.


The Stanley Cup was out of the building until 12:30 but there were lots of other trophies to admire (we chose not to go back upstairs when it returned because we have seen it on previous visits and the crowds were growing.) 


The interactive area is always a blast, in this case shooting on a virtual goalie.


Our oldest son was up north this week doing farm things he loves so this was a special trip for J. My guys have all played minor hockey (as most boys and girls in my extended family do) and love hockey at all levels, from local to NHL to Olympic.


Olympic Gold for Canada's Women and Men.


International hockey.
Hockey legends (and Canadians) like Bobby Orr...


and the Great Wayne Gretzky.


Newer teams and the Original Six.


American and Canadian teams.


And did I mention great architecture? If you are in the area, and you like hockey, you might want to spend a few hours here. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week. Now back to painting my little desk.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...