Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Home and Garden Thursday

Posted by MAKMU ta On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 No comments






AntiquedVerdigris













3rd Thursday - Thrifting/Crafting:






I have been wanting to create a decorative look to my Four Seasons
cast-concrete statues situated in their new home. I moved them from the northeast corner of the garden, the new White Garden, to the brick parterre garden on the west-side.
 I love their cute shape and I didn’t want to 
paint them white as I had done several of my other statues.


That's when I thought of Verdigris

source Flickr



I found a few examples of beautiful Verdigris statues as my inspiration. I love the aged appearance contrasted by the bright blue-green of the color.

source Flickr

source Flickr
I searched for concrete stains – especially homemade recipes. The first I found used copper sulfate and salt – it did create a bright green liquid, but did not effect the shade of color I wished for my statues.

                                             before                                                

 after


Then I thought – spray paint. I have a variety of greens, blues, and metallic colors which could create the antiqued verdigris I was hoping for.
                                              
before                                               after 

before                                               after





I sprayedthe entire statue with Brushed Metallic Caramel Latte – it is a lighter colorthan copper, but gives the effect I was going for. I then alternated GivernyGreen- or – Pistachio Green with Deauville Blue (an old Martha Stewart color) then I added here and there a muddy, forest green to imitate moss.



I keptlayering the colors and sponging over to take away some color and to combine theblue-green color I was after.



Followingviewing the examples of the pictures I found on Flickr – to age the statues – Idribbled watered down black and burnt sienna watercolor paint to replicate the effects of time and weather.






Afterthe statues completely dry I plan to seal them with a concrete sealer toprotect the finish.




Iplan to attempt another stain recipe in the birdbath – 
if it works – fantastic!If it doesn’t – I’ll play with paint again!









A Delightsome Life



Guidelines for H and GT Party:










1.  Be a follower of A Delightsome Life through GFC, Email, Feedburner or other Social networks.
2.  Please text link back to ADL or post the Party Button, so that your readers can join in/or find the other participants.
3.  Home and Garden Thursday encompasses everything! You may link up and share your DIY, home décor, furniture refinishing, paint projects, craft projects, thrifty finds, gardening tips and photos, your recipes – anything Home and Garden related. Share your favorite post of the previous week!
4.  Please link the URL specific to the post you are sharing – not your blog’s URL.
5.  Please visit other guests, just as you would at any other party, leave some comments and perhaps make a few new friends!

On Wednesday morning, I will post features from the previous week – two of my favorite and two reader’s favorites.
The H and GT Party post will be published each Wednesday evening at 6:00 EST using Inlinkz.

A Delightsome Life
Home and Garden Thursday
Post schedule will be:
1st Thursday – Home Décor
2nd Thursday – Garden 
3rd Thursday – Thrifting or Crafting
4th Thursday – Recipe or cooking tips
5th Thursday – Anything Goes

I look forward to seeing your inspiring posts!

I am joining these other Delightsome  blog parties:








French Inspiration Thursday @ The French Cupboard
Open House Party Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Thrifty Thursday @ Tales From Bloggeritaville
Time Travel Thursday @ Brambleberry Cottage
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Power of Paint@Domestically Speaking
Air Your Laundry Friday @ The Freckled Laundry
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home 
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Potpourri Friday@2805
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense
Springtacular Crafts @Random Thoughts
Seasonal Sundays @ The Tablescaper
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Show Off Your Cottage Monday @ The House in the Roses

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...