Thursday, February 16, 2012

Two Sisters, One Minivan, a GPS, and a Blue Table ReRun

Posted by MAKMU ta On Thursday, February 16, 2012 No comments

On this gray and drizzly Thursday, my sister Peggy
and I are saddling up the minivan and
venturing into the uncharted wilds of New Jersey.

Also known as Morris, Hunterdon, and Somerset Counties.
Dangerous turf, my friends. . .
populated by the Horsey Set, Wall Streeters, BMW drivers,
and people who probably spent more than $1.89 on their coffee tables.

We may have to go in disguise so as not to be spotted as aliens,
although once they catch sight of my red Chrysler minivan, the jig's probably up.
:-)
*******************************************
We'll be seeking out consignment shops, including at least one where I am pretty sure
I won't be able to afford anything; yes, it's that high end.  I hope they'll let me take pictures.

We'll have lunch at my new favorite dive, just for the excellent cole slaw, and also visit
a thrift shop or two, so I've got at least a chance of toting home something for my tank of gas.
But before I leave to meet Peggy, I'm re-posting a
table setting from almost exactly two years ago.
It's blue.  Very blue.
**********************************
(First Posted 2/11/2010)
Welcome to Thursday at That Old House! 


Supper for two.

Don't forget to check out the links to today's blog parties,
at the end of this post!



Some months back, I was in HomeGoods and I spotted a package of four placemats.
Blue and white always catches my eye.




But the fabric pattern reminded me of something:
a set of (cheap) ironstone dishes I bought 30 years ago when we were first married, and have rarely used.




So today, I finally put them together, with my old
plated flatware -- Georgian pattern, some monogrammed and some not.




The dishes have several shades of blue, including a gray tint and an almost-aqua tint.
The placemats also have these shades.  Kismet!




At Dollar Tree last summer, these plump little tea light holders jumped into my shopping cart.




Two designs, in classic blue and white.




On the table, an older Bombay Company china pot, blue and white, with fake flowers in it.



From a church thrift shop, bubbly blue wine glasses.



I like the shape of the coffee cups, so I'm adding them to the table setting.

Vintage Irish linen napkins.  Old, but in like-new condition.  Ebay, some years back.



The backstamp for the china.
I do not speak Spanish, but it looks like it's claiming to be resistant to acid.
And something else.



All put together, I like how this table setting turned out -- and it was fun to see those old dishes again!

And the placemats are reversible.  On the other side, just the print, no border.  I hope they won't need much ironing; I haven't replaced my iron yet.  No fool, I. -- Cass






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...